- This event has passed.
Young Paleontologist’s Fossil Exploration
June 10, 2017 @ 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
Instructor: Lauren Carter
Do you have a science minded youngster in the family between the ages of 7 and 11? Well this program is just for them. The Young Paleontologist’s Fossil Exploration class is designed as an option for kids that are too young to participate in the Fossil Dig and Excavation class but still want to learn about Triassic fossils and the work of paleontologists.
Based on the already established Simulated Fossil Dig in the park’s education programming, this 4 hour adventure begins with a 30 minute tour of the Rainbow Forest Museum where all the park’s fossil exhibits are displayed. Then there will be a fun group activity that provides participants with the background knowledge needed for the fossil dig.
Participants will then be given the opportunity to dig for and identify real and replica fossils in a prepared education area with a shade cover. After lunch at the picnic tables and a bathroom break the group will take a 1.5 mile hike to see how paleontologists look for and discover fossils in the field.
- $39 – Non-Member
- $30 – Member
- We provide training, tools, and lunch for each child “paleontologist.” Accompanying parents or guardians can purchase a picnic lunch for themselves for an additional $9 which must be reserved in advance. Please make note of it in the comments of the registration form or when calling to register.
- Participants should provide their own sunscreen, insect repellent, hat, light sweater or jacket and sturdy shoes, and water bottles. There is no shade for most of the class, hats are recommended. During monsoon season, gnats and mosquitoes are present and temperatures and conditions can change with little notice.
- Maximum number of participants: 10
- Minimum age of participants: 7 (must be accompanied by parent or guardian)
- Class registration does not include park entrance fees. For more information, visit the FAQs page.