Petrified Forest National Park has reopened, along with Painted Desert Visitor Center and Rainbow Forest Museum. There are no limitations on access to most of the park attractions and established trails.
Unfortunately, the remainder of the Field Institute events have been canceled as we rework the guided hiking trips and workshops to implement necessary safety measures. Our hope is to be able to bring these workshops and more back next season in a way that protects participants and instructors.
- This event has passed.
Young Paleontologist’s Fossil Exploration
June 1, 2019 @ 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
Instructor: Dan Carroll
The Young Paleontologist’s Fossil Exploration class is designed as an option for science-minded youth who are too young to participate in the adult Fossil Dig workshops, but still want to learn about Triassic fossils and the work of paleontologists.
This workshop may also be available as a custom experience for youth groups of at least three participants, depending on the availability of the instructor and advance planning.
Based on the Simulated Fossil Dig in the park’s education programming, this 4-hour adventure begins with a tour of the Rainbow Forest Museum where all the park’s fossil exhibits are displayed. Then we’ll move on to some fun activities and observation exercises.
Participants will then be given the opportunity to dig for and identify real and replica fossils in a prepared education area. There is no shade in this area, so please be prepared with hats, sunscreen, appropriate protective clothing and insect spray, as well as plenty of water. Bring your lunch and snacks. After a little break at the picnic tables the group will take a 1.5-mile hike to see how paleontologists look for and discover fossils in the field.
- $39 – Non-Member
- $30 – Member *Learn more at PFMA site
- Classes are for ages 7 – 13 years.
- We provide training and tools for each child “paleontologist.”
- Participants should provide their own sunscreen, insect repellent, hat, light sweater or jacket and sturdy shoes, and water bottles. There is no shade for most of the class, hats are recommended. During monsoon season, gnats and mosquitoes are present and temperatures and conditions can change with little notice.
- Maximum number of participants: 10
- Minimum age of participants: 7 (must be accompanied by parent or guardian)
- Class registration does not include park entrance fees. For more information, visit the FAQs page.