Petrified Forest National Park has reopened, along with Painted Desert Visitor Center and Rainbow Forest Museum. There are no limitations on access to most of the park attractions and established trails.
Unfortunately, the remainder of the Field Institute events have been canceled as we rework the guided hiking trips and workshops to implement necessary safety measures. Our hope is to be able to bring these workshops and more back next season in a way that protects participants and instructors.
- This event has passed.
Relics of Route 66
June 19, 2020 @ 8:30 am - 1:00 pm
Instructor: Kip Woolford
Known by many names over the years, the most famous road in America was affectionately dubbed the Mother Road. Established in 1926, U.S. Route 66 was a symbol of opportunity, exploration and adventure. From Chicago to Los Angeles, Route 66 was the primary route of westward migration for decades.
Route 66 stretched nearly 2,500 miles and, at the time, only went through one national park – Petrified Forest! A line of telephone poles still marks the historic road bed within the park.
We will meet at the Painted Desert Visitor Center at the north park entrance (Interstate 40, exit 311) at 8:30 am. Transportation for the tour will be provided. We will travel within and in the immediate vicinity of Petrified Forest National Park to include visiting portions of Route 66 not easily accessible to the general public.
We will break for lunch at the Historic Painted Desert Inn before continuing our tour and conclude the tour back at the Painted Desert Visitor Center around 1 pm, with time afterwards to continue exploring the park on your own.
For your comfort and safety wear sturdy, closed-toe shoes, comfortable clothing for the season, hats, sunscreen and bring plenty of water. Several stops will include remnant buildings where hazards such as broken glass and metal shards are present.
- $39 – Non-Member
- $30 – Member *Learn more at PFMA site
- Optional sack lunch (Deli-style turkey or vegetarian sandwich, granola bar, and fruit): $8 – or pack your own lunch
- For your comfort and safety, wear sturdy, closed-toed shoes, comfortable clothing for the season, hats, sunscreen, and bring plenty of water.
- Maximum number of participants: 6
- Minors are to be accompanied by a parent or guardian
- Class registration does not include park entrance fees. For more information, visit the FAQs page.