Milky Way Photography in the Park After Dark
October 7 – October 8 MST
Instructor: Frank Kraljic
Although camping within the Petrified Forest National Park is permitted in limited areas, mobility after park hours is not. This Nightscape Photographer Workshop will take participants inside the park under a nearly moonless night sky for a photographic opportunity using the Milky Way as a backdrop to the unique and other-worldly landscape attractions found exclusively in the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert.
The Nightscape Photographer Workshop is open to novice and experienced astrophotographers. Field tutorials include camera operation and setup, shot planning, scene lighting, and capturing, while those already familiar with the art and craft may proceed with their photographic plans.
Participants should be physically able to navigate off-trail with only a headlamp and flashlight carrying their photographic equipment. Expect to trek a couple of miles over the course of the night.
Participants will first meet at the historic Painted Desert Inn a few miles from the North Park entrance gate to review our night plan and prepare to set up camp at Chinde Point. That afternoon we will scout photogenic locations before returning to the campsite for astrophotography basics as we wait for our near moonless sky and the rise of the Milky Way. Participants can expect to be photographing until midnight or later.
- Meet at 3:00 pm
- Finish the following day by noon
- $245 – Non-Member
- $210 – Member *Learn more at PFMA site
- Maximum number of participants: 10
- Minimum age: 12 (must be accompanied by a guardian)
- SLR or DSLR camera (preferably low light sensitive) with media cards
- Sturdy tripod
- Headlamp and flashlight
- Mobile device with GPS
- Water bottle and snacks
- Cold weather clothing
- Backpack and carry case for all equipment
- Overnight camping gear (tent, bedroll, etc)
- Additional camera and tripod
- Cable release (depending on camera)
- Light diffusion and gels
- Laptop computer (processing of photos may be done at home)