- This event has passed.
Dig Fossils for a Day
August 13, 2016 @ 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Instructor: Bill ParkerPrepare to get dirty digging in the Triassic Chinle Formation for fossil bones of giant amphibians, reptiles, and even early dinosaurs. Join the park paleontologist for a fossil dig in the Petrified Forest National Park. This one day excursion provides an introduction to paleontology field work. The trip starts with a behind the scenes tour of the park fossil collections and then travel ‘off the beaten’ path to the dig site. We provide the training and the tools. This is a real-life adventure where participants participate in a real paleontological dig. Collected specimens become part of the park’s museum collection.
- 8:00 AM – Painted Desert Visitor Center (Exit 311, I-40) – Introduction and tour of collections.
- 8:45 AM – Travel to dig site
- 9:30 AM–3:30 PM – Partake in a fossil excavation (includes 1/2 hour lunch)
- 3:30 PM – Return to Painted Desert Visitor Center
- 4:30 PM – Class dismissed
- $159 – Non-Member
- $130 – Member