The Petrified Forest Field Institute is now offering guided adventures geared towards groups and families wanting a custom experience. PFFI will provide a naturalist guide for a full or partial day into areas rarely seen by the typical park visitor. Our guides can tailor a trip to your interests and abilities.
Here are some of the “off-the-beaten” paths that our guide can take you to – all the while providing details on the geology, human and natural history and other fascinating information pertinent to your visit.
- Visit Martha’s Butte and learn about the ancient solar marker petroglyph (prehistoric etching in the rock) which appears sliced in half by the summer solstice sunrise.
- Explore Jasper Forest and be amazed at the sheer amount of petrified logs and wood you’ll see!
- Discover Onyx Bridge, an exposed fossilized log about 30 ft long and approximately 200 million years old – and extremely hard to find if you don’t know where to look.
- Hike out to the Red Basin Clam Beds on recently acquired lands in Petrified Forest National Park to see vibrantly colored badlands, petrified wood, petroglyphs, unique erosional formations called hoodoos, and fossil clam beds.
- Trek out to Billings Gap Overlook for a great view looking over the badlands east of Blue Mesa and a panorama of the park’s grasslands.
- Hike the challenging Historic Blue Forest Trail built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) between 1934–1937. Originally built for the general public, the years have eroded the trail and made it more difficult but is so beautiful and worth the effort.
Whole day or half day trips available. There are many areas best found and appreciated with a guide, such as those with exposed fossils representing a rich fossil record of the ancient flora and fauna of the park. Let us know if you have something particular in mind or if you would like us to customize an adventure for you based upon your interests. Call at least 7 days in advance for availability.
If you are interested in a trip for your group, contact us at (928) 524-6228 ext. 239 or use our Contact Form.